Thursday, June 11, 2009

85. The Brothers Karamazov – Fyodor Dostoevsky

I listened to this book in September 2007
History: Dostoyevsky spent nearly two years writing The Brothers Karamazov, which was published as a serial in The Russian Messenger and completed in November 1880. Dostoyevsky intended it to be the first part in an epic story titled The Life of a Great Sinner, but he died less than four months after its publication.
Plot: This book is about Fyodor, a drunken womanizer; and his three sons, Dmitri, who intensely hates his father; Ivan, who questions faith and free will; and the deeply religious Alyosha, who becomes embroiled in the family's dysfunction. The story culminates around Fyodor's murder. Dmitri is eventually convicted, because the evidence is against him, and he is sent to Siberia.
Review: I listened to this book on tape in my livingroom, working on my afghan for Lukas. Okay, I know Dosctoevsky is well loved, but I have to say, I find this book boring. When I look through the summaries I feel maybe should reread.
Opening Line: Alexey Fyodorovitch Karamazov was the third son of Fyodor Pavlovitch Karamazov, a landowner well known in our district in his own day, and still remembered among us owing to his gloomy and tragic death, which happened thirteen years ago, and which I shall describe in its proper place
Closing Line: “Hurrah for Karamazov!”
Quotes: "What is hell? I maintain that it is the suffering of being unable to love."
Rating: okay

No comments:

Post a Comment