Friday, May 1, 2009

2. Gone with the Wind - Margaret Mitchell

1976
2. Gone With the Wind – Margaret Mitchell.
History: The novel won the 1937 Pullitzer Prize. The novel is renown for it’s depiction of the destruction of the Civil War. It also deals largely with slavery, and the Ku Klux Klan. Mitchell's understanding of life and hardship during the war came from elderly relatives and neighbors passing war stories to her generation.[
Plot: I hesitate to do the plot section, not only because it is very long and involved, but it is common knowledge, really. Basically, it is about Scarlett, who is a young southern woman living on a plantation, who is suffering from unrequited love. She is spoiled and self centered, but I liked her because she was an honest portrayal of woman. She is married three times, but not to the man she loves, who is married to someone else. But the third husband, Rhett Butler, is her equal, and he ditches her after their daughter dies, then she realizes how much she really loves Rhett, after all.
Review: I read this book in seventh grade.. I remember reading a lot of it on the bus to and from school. I loved it and couldn’t put it down. I was interested in love stories at this age, it was the first passion scene I’d read. I felt Scarlett was similar to modern day women, indecisive about their love, relationships, jealousy of the good woman that her love is married to. Although I hated it in the end that she decided she loved Rhett, that is too typical of modern literature, however he could be the Heathcliff character in some ways.
First Line: “Scarlett O’Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realised it when caught by her charm as the Tarleton twins were.”
Closing Line: “After all, to-morrow is another day.”
Quotes: “‘My dear, I don't give a damn.' "

horrible poor boring mediocre okay good very good wonderful engrossing superb

No comments:

Post a Comment